Using Bees To Effect Vengeance

I get to be as self-indulgent as I want without wasting anyone's time. Guilt-free solipsism -- excellent!

Looking for that particular entry? Search Using Bees....




This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com



Archives:


Email the Proprietor

Tuesday, July 30, 2002
 
All right, I ain't too proud to beg -- if anyone can tell me how to get the "(x) comments" link to look more like my byline and timestamps links and less like my regular text, I would be grateful. I spent half an hour messing with it, and I can't figure it out.

Other news; I cooked last night. Chicken in tomato sauce...it was dead yummy as well. I'm quite proud of myself. (Sonnet took over some of the prep while I talked to the one and only V, but I still feel comfortable taking credit).

The S.O blogged about Mulholland Drive...I liked it more than she did, but generally I concur with her opinion. I like watching Lynch films just for his aesthetic -- it doesn't always make a lot of sense, and he does tend to repeat himself, but some of it's just so well done. Plus, it has to be said, while Naomi Watts was good, Laura Elena Harring knows how to make an impression...there's one scene in particular that I'm thinking of, it does involve a towel, and you could probably find it on KazaaLite if you were so inclined. Even the missus felt obliged to give props to Harring's mama.

Last night, we finished watching Godfather III and I had my high opinion of the film reaffirmed. I don't understand people who say that it was crap. Sofia Coppola? Yes, she was rubbish. Dreadful. But the film itself, while not reaching the heights of G1 and G2, by no means disgraces the series. Pacino wolfs down a bit more scenery than he would have in '74, but as he himself has pointed out, Michael Corleone changed and grew over that 20-odd years as any of us would have, and it is appropriate to alter his characterization somewhat. Plus the climax of the film at the Opera House in Palermo is stunning -- Pacino's reaction to the culminating event sent shudders through me...you can practically see all the pain and regret pouring out of him. The look Keaton gives him is also exquisite. The film is genuinely operatic and genuinely tragic, and I think it's a fitting and worthy conclusion to the story.

|

Comments: Post a Comment