Using Bees To Effect Vengeance

I get to be as self-indulgent as I want without wasting anyone's time. Guilt-free solipsism -- excellent!

Looking for that particular entry? Search Using Bees....




This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com



Archives:


Email the Proprietor

Monday, October 27, 2003
 
Well, I'm unemployed. Not surrounded by co-workers -- on my own, just like Patti Labelle and Michael MacDonald. And like Chic (and Robert Wyatt) I find myself singing, "At last I am free/I can hardly see in front of me."

Elliott Smith is no longer with us, and I don't know what to say except that I will miss him -- and in my selfish way, I'm mourning the loss of all the great music he had in him that no-one will ever hear. Each of his records (particularly the last three) is a work of art -- brimming with melody, emotion, musicality, honesty and (let's not forget this in our rush to Cobainize him as a mere conduit for Pain) gorgeous artifice. He could be straightforward but he also knew how to turn an illuminating phrase a la Costello. I think he was possibly the best songwriter of the last 10 years.

John Cougar Mellencamp ranks quite a few places below Elliott in the BSOTLTY stakes, but clap clap has a thoroughly enjoyable appreciation of "Pink Houses" to which I'd direct your attention.

|

Comments: Post a Comment