Using Bees To Effect Vengeance

I get to be as self-indulgent as I want without wasting anyone's time. Guilt-free solipsism -- excellent!

Looking for that particular entry? Search Using Bees....




This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com



Archives:


Email the Proprietor

Thursday, January 24, 2002
 
Sonnet and I watched Ken Burns' documentary on Frank Lloyd Wright last night. I know very little about architecture, and was glad that the film managed to give me an appreciation of how revolutionary his work was.

It also really made me want to see in person the Unitarian Church that he built in Illinois. Rather than intimidate worshippers with cavernous grandeur, Wright placed the pews and the dais (I can't think of the proper word) on a platform above the rest of the church. Worshippers therefore have to walk up some steps to reach their seats, literally elevating them rather belittling them. The walk to one's seat becomes a metaphor for the philosophy of the church -- it brings you closer to the object of your worship, rather than causing you to cower in insignificance before it. Nicely humanistic, in fact.

|

Comments: Post a Comment